1.16.2009

If you're going to ask ...

I have a door for my office ... I have a door because I prefer quiet or my choice of music when I'm working. I work best when I have quiet. I'm very open with my co-workers about why I have an office with a door. I do not work well with lots of noise around me, especially when I'm working on anything payroll-related. I socialize with my co-workers, when I can. I am not a snob. I may be strange, I may be anal & have OCD & all of that ... but, I need quiet when I'm working on payrolls.

That said ... the co-worker who sits in the cubicle across from my office talks to herself, pounds her keyboard & her calculator keyboard, clicks her pen lids ... small sounds that are annoying to me. So .. the answer? I close my door. Pretty simple, huh? Everyone's happy ...

Yeah. Right. This morning, she asks "do I make that much noise?" when I pushed said door almost closed. *sigh* I didn't answer immediately ... trying to decide if there's now a minefield outside my door. Next venture out of my space, I said, quietly, politely, "in answer to your question - you do talk to yourself & me, being me, I close my door so I'm not distracted by you. it's my issue." And, yeah, you guessed it: "really???? my voice carries that much????" *sigh again* "It is me. "

Now, apparently, there is indeed a minefield outside my door ....

Moral of the story? You don't really want an answer? Don't ask the question.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I had a similar situation but I didnt have the luxury of an office and my neighbor SMELLED! Got to the point I had to take long breaks, complained to his boss (he had already been talked to several times before I moved next to him) and had to get an Oust fan to help combat the smell.

He was completely oblivious to the situation. And how do you talk to someone about how they smell?

Sandy said...

Oh gosh. So sorry. Glad you've got that door. It's never anyone else's fault, only our own, at least in the other person's eyes. Or with people with that type of personality.

I hope your day gets better and goes quickly.

Pumpkin said...

ROFL! Good for you Nancy! I'd say you did that rather tactfully ;o)

Vicki said...

As I have gotten older, I agree...if you don't want the ral answer, don't ask the question! Rmember that Fleetwood Mac song? "Don't ask me what i think of you, you might not get the answer that you wanted to..." "Oh, Well" (also the name of the song). Age makes you sure of who YOU are and What others are. I think some intelligent people might call it "clarity". I know I am calling it that...either that or me jsut being a "bitter Bitch"!!!

Beth said...

Tread carefully for a while, it could get nasty. We have a very loud office with people talking across the hall and we all have gotten used to tuning out. I have even been one to yammer across the hallway to my boss when he asks me something. The only problem with tuning out is that sometimes you miss something important - LOL..

Beth