3.11.2009

Words

My niece called today while I was out grabbing lunch ... and my great-nephew was TALKING in the background! What a very sweet sound!!

X is 2-1/2 years old & hasn't talked a whole lot, up until recently. We all knew he understood what was being said to him by his responses, but he'd just chosen to not talk much. My niece went to a dr who convinced her there was something more to this than X just not choosing to talk yet, so he's had a battery of hearing & speech tests & been pronounced "fine". He now goes to a daycare a few days a week, mostly to have time with other children - and it's pushed him to communicate with words. Yea!! I mean, I didn't care if he wasn't ready to chatter away yet, but now my niece doesn't worry about it. [He even said "aunt Nancy!" while we were on the phone - and more than once - and very clearly!]

I so miss them, now that they don't live here anymore ... But, it's all that great cycle of life, I guess. I'm grateful we have phones & phone service, so at least we have that form of communication while miles apart.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

How sweet. I can remember when Shelby started talking. It seems like yesterday. Now he won't shut up. LOL I wonder where he gets it from?

I'm so glad you got to talk to her. I know you miss them.

Jamie said...

Brennon was like that up until he was 2 or 3. Everybody thought something was wrong with him (except me). As soon as I got him in daycare, he began speaking. Now...well....he's quite a talker when he wants to be!!!! :)

Lydia said...

My middle daughter was like that. Up to about the age of 5-6, I understand, it is age appropriate, in most circumstances.

But, I don't think I was a non-talker, and so plz. stop by my blog to see what I've been talking about.:)tehe

Pumpkin said...

That's wonderful Nancy! I think we expect too much of children sometimes but it's always good to check for problems.