4.08.2009

a long time ago, in a land far far away ...

well, ok, not that far away - just another suburb .... but, a long time ago ...

someone special introduced me to ee cummings and his poetry.

today, the sun is shining, the threat of snow is gone, spring does indeed seem to be on it's way. one of ee cummings' poems was emailed out as a journal prompt in one of my onlne groups - what timing! and, of course, i'd like to share it with you:

in Just-
spring when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman

whistles far and wee

and eddieandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it's
spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer
old balloonman whistles
far and wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing

from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's
spring
and
the
goat-footed

balloonMan whistles
far
and
wee



May today bring you sunshine, warm breezes, the joy of spring .... 1x1

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Great poem. I love poetry. I miss reading it like I used to. I miss doing a lot of things like I used to have time to do, like journal.....LOL I will catch back up, I will, I will. We need to have a "cheer each other on" this weekend.

Hope you have a great Wed. only two more days and it's the weekend. Are you off for Good Friday?

Summer Gypsy said...

One of my favorite warm weather poems, Nancy! I love ee cummings style...With no capitals, it is unforgettable! You have a great Easter week! Thanks for sharing! By the way, I posted a "Sisterhood Award" for all to share. I definitely want YOU to grab that avatar. No obligation to tag or anything like that! Just let the world know that blog "sisters" form lasting friendships and memories.
Blessings,
Marilyn

ashleyrwatts said...

I sure hope Spring is on its way - it's way too cold here! :P

We had to do a short analysis on that poem a couple of years ago in my college English class. I could never figure that poem out! lol But I always loved it nonetheless! :)

Jamie said...

Love the poem! Grayson woke up, looked outside and said, "It's a beautiful day today!!" I have to agree! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Lydia said...

Lovely. Just lovely:)

We had a balloon man on LI where I grew up. A little old Italian gentleman would come around, calling out,"BalloonMan!Balloon Man!" He was so sweet.

That was not so long ago, but it seems so far away.

Have a very Blessed Easter, Nancy ! xo Lydia

Linda Woods said...

I love poems with lines like "far and wee" because for a moment, it makes me feel like I am in England or Ireland where people still talk like that and where scones are delicious!