5.25.2009

I'm one of the lucky ones....

In the early 1970's, my guy (though I didn't know him then) came home from Vietnam, physically all in one piece. There was no parade, no welcome home party, no recognition of the hell he'd survived ... but, he came home.

Six years ago, I met T online. He tried to warn me about his PTSD but, my heart just didn't care & still doesn't. I know Memorial Day is supposed to be about remembering those who have fallen for our country in times of battle & I do - but I also hold dear T & all like him, those who gave of themselves for us. T & those who came home from WWII, Vietnam, Iraq, etc. did indeed survive, but they are permanently scared by the horrific experiences - they gave for us.


















When you next see a veteran - of Vietnam, Afghanistan, D Day - please, welcome them home, give them a hug, let them know you appreciate what they gave, for you.

Thank you, T, Charlie, Joey, Tom & Tom, Jim & Jim ...

4 comments:

Sandy said...

How true and thanks to T on this Memorial Day.

cheri said...

What a wonderful post! Thanks for helping me to "remember" that we are surrounded by those that did come home and those that serve us still!

Lydia said...

Amen. Nice post.

Pumpkin said...

Great post Nancy! You've got one brave man there :o)