6.13.2009

Boredom

Do you ever get hit by the boredom bug? You're surrounded by supplies, inspiration ... you have time available ... but, still, you sit. You read, stare out the window, watch tv ... wanting to "do" but ... you don't.

Maybe this has never happened to you, but it certainly has to me. It's frustrating, even as I sit & read another book. Even as I examine what I'm doing & try to analyze the "why", still I sit... I'd hoped to move past the sitting/reading I've been mired in by going to Kentucky, spending time with my sistahs, creating jewelry. You know, get the creative juices flowing again. It happened, but it didn't. Getting sick & other necessary distractions ate at our time.

I'm not swamped at work, so my "couch potato-ness" can't even be blamed there.

So, what's up with this?

This morning, I read in DailyOM about boredom & the proverbial light bulb flipped on. This really hit home: "When we are troubled by boredom, it is not that there is nothing to do but rather that we are not stimulated by the options before us. A bored mind can be the canvas upon which innovation is painted and the womb in which novelty is nourished. When you identify boredom as a signal that you need to test your boundaries, it can be the force that presses you to strive for opportunities you thought were beyond your reach and to indulge your desire for adventure."

Ahhhhhh....!

So, today, I'm going to use my lackadaisical brain. I'm going to "do". I'm going to clear my "canvas" - rearrange some things here in my space. Move some scrapbooking supplies onto shelves that are less handy, move in art supplies. Maybe buy a small drawer unit to better use other space. Do you find if your supplies are more handy, you use them better? Instead of looking at others' creations & admiring their beauty, I'm going to DO. I'm going to push a boundary or two ... I am!

What are you creating today?



5 comments:

WendyCarole said...

Well I am pottering about doing.... absolutely ... nothing. Everything is here fabric patterns but I can't get motivated to do anything at all. So I waste my time on the mac facebooking of word puzzling and then rummage through a bit of fabric etc hopig to get going but no what's a girl to do??

Sandy said...

Oh how I wish I could be bored this month. LOL I know what you mean though. It has happened to me in the past few months. After all the bussiness I've gone through this month I'm ready to sit down, relax and create something fun. You'll get there I'm sure.

Terri said...

"A bored mind can be the canvas upon which innovation is painted and the womb in which novelty is nourished."


I loved this line!!!
Thanks for sharing

Anne said...

Hi, Nancy! So that's why I feel bored and restless from time to time? Because I need to push my boundaries? Who knew!

I've been sitting and staring at my crafty supplies lately, instead of playing ... but mainly because I'm too tired to play. I think I just need some rest.

Sure hope you find your mojo! :-)

Pumpkin said...

Sigh! I wish I had that problem right now. I find when I'm really busy like this, my creativity is difficult to find. I think that quote really summed it up Nancy.