6.22.2009

Early morning in the almost-country

See that in the middle of the soccer field? It's one of our neighborhood deer population...















We used to see our deer family most every morning & evening in the fields to the left of this one. Then the city ran a bike path through the far side of the soccer field, through the field's parking lot, along the tree line to the creek - where the deer used to congregate (along the tree line).

So imagine my surprise this morning when I pulled up to our stop sign & saw this beautiful creature standing on the other side of the road! I was delighted! Part of why we live where we do is we are almost-in-the-country, we're almost rural. The area used to be all rural & has slowly developed, but our village is not anxious to become strung up with traffic or well-known businesses (no Starbucks for us!), so we still have the pleasure of seeing a lot of "nature". This morning certainly reminded me of the glory around us...

5 comments:

Terri said...

I think I need to borrow that phrase..."Almost Country" It fits where I live too.

How wonderful

Malissa said...

I love seeing nature like that! We aren't in almost country-we're in the Country! Some times you can see a deer in the woods on our property when you look outside, but I think almost country is a great compromise!

freebird said...

I've had enough of rural living and would like to try city life. To be able to walk to the stores and restaurants sounds great. As it is, we drive 12 miles to get to the edge of town. We do get to enjoy the wildlife though - roadrunners, rabbits, jack rabbits and rattlesnakes of which one bit my dog just over a week ago (she survived with a trip to the vet for antivenom). I don't really want suburb life; I'd take your near rural over that any day. Glad you get to see some wildlife though.

Anne said...

Hi Nancy! We are "almost country", too. Love the picture of the deer! :-)

Pumpkin said...

Lovely! We're seeing deer here on a regular basis and it's nice.