8.23.2009

The past week & a half...

On August 13, my guy suffered a heart attack while we sat at home, watching tv, reading our respective books. Thank God it occurred while I was here, while I was awake - or, he'd be dead as it was a "v-tac" - one where the ventricles of the heart go haywire & more often than not, kill the person immediately. Thanks to T's stubbornness, the wonderful staff at our nearest hospital & the love & support of our friends & family, T survived! He had a heart cath on August 19, a defibrillator implanted on the 20th and was released to home on Friday. Last night, I think we both finally really rested & slept all night.

This picture shows were we lived, if we weren't in T's room in CCU. Looking at the picture now, I realize I was still shaking from it all, a week later. I hope none of you ever have our same experience. If you smoke, if someone you know smokes, stop NOW. Smoking didn't cause T's heart attacks (the doctors found earlier damage with the heart cath) - genetics caused T's more than anything - but his 30+ years of smoking didn't help anything.















Again - our extreme thanks go to all of the wonderful EMS squad and the hospital staff! They were, to a person, awesome! Thank you, too, to all of our friends & family who stood with us, minute by minute, as T suffered & survived!

9 comments:

Natasha said...

My oh my.. BUG (((HUGS)) to both you and T... Thankfully like you said you were home. I am happy to hear T is home now. I will send good thoughts for you both.
Please take Care
XXXXX

Sandy said...

I'm so glad things worked out and ya'll are now home. I'll continue to keep everyone in my prayers.

Pumpkin said...

OMG Nancy! I just read your post now. I am SO sorry to hear about T! How very scary for you both :o( I'm glad to hear he is okay though.

Thank goodness my dad didn't have a heart attack but I went through the similar waiting and worrying.

I'm sending HUGE HUGS to you both and please keep us updated.

Shelleen said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. I hope everything will be ok.

WendyCarole said...

Sending you both hugs

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad he is doing well now and this is behind you. I have heart disease in my family with both my dad and sister having them at 45 and 35 yrs old. It's amazing what can be done nowadays and you can rest assured by talking about this to anyone who will listen, you will likely save more lives! Take care and email me any time if you need anything at all!!

Beth said...

I was out of town when you had to go through the ordeal. I am so glad that T is okay! I had to have bi-pass surgery at the age of 45, and that was a real scare. What is wonderful is that the medical field is so advanced. I agree - STOP SMOKING EVERYONE - I did.
Take care - both of you.

Anne said...

Oh, Nancy! How awful! I had a big scare once where I thought I might lose my hubby and it is NO FUN. I was shaking too! I don't blame you! What a scary experience. I am so glad that everything worked out and T was able to get great care and that you still have him around! Blessing to both of you! Thinking of you and wishing you both a speedy, healthy recovery. Hugs! :-)

Lydia said...

I am so sorry for your hardships. We also have had a very hard summer. The shaking hands I have had.

I agree about the smoking. My hubby w/his lung cancer... I pray that you will never go through such a thing again.