9.16.2009

Freedom of speech (vent alert!)

I'm so behind here on my blog home ... I spend my evenings furiously working away on my 170 ATC's for the cruise and/or spending time with T. I've reconstructed most of our hospital time in a Google document, both for my own sanity (aka journaling) as well as to give T a replacement, if you will, for the memory he does not have from his heart attack on. He did indeed have a heart attack on or about August 1, then ventricular fibrillation ("sudden cardiac arrest") on the 13th. I just cannot ever express my gratitude to God for sparing T's life, as well as to all of the EMS & hospital personnel who went above & beyond with T.

Our "freedom of speech" has been on my mind a lot the last month or so. I'll spare you most of the gorey details, but today's experience here at work just makes me want to SCREAM! I firmly believe we each are allowed our own opinions & thoughts, no matter if we live in the USA or anywhere else. BUT, I also believe in a time & a place, a filter ... I do NOT believe one has the right to be nasty in said expression. Someone else's opinions do NOT have any more validity than my own. It's bad enough that more often than not, an employer uses the workplace as a soapbox. In my case, my office has a door & I can & do close it when the need arises. But today? Coworkers loudly expressed their disdain - to put it mildly - of a political office holder. What was said was rude, nasty - and, when I finally couldn't stay quiet & said "not everyone feels as you do", I was told, again nastily, rudely, that I was wrong. The ol' "I'm smarter/better/whatever-er than you, so shut up" attitude. *sigh* There are days - and this is one, apparently - where I wish I worked in the middle of a cornfield ....

5 comments:

Terri said...

I think with some of the headlines lately the question was asked what has happened to civilality?

Sorry about your experience at work.

Tammy said...

Thank you for speaking up! It was very brave of you considering the possible backlash!

Pumpkin said...

Good to see you peek in Nancy :o) Yes, T is VERY lucky and I'm just glad that you were there with him when it happened.

Ah yes, the workplace. I don't miss it one bit! Vent all you want, we're here :o)

Sandy said...

How awful. You and I are on opposite sides of the political fence and we seem to get along just fine. I think these people need serious help there. How sad for them that they can't be more open minded. I'm sorry you had to go through that because I do remember what all you and T went through. BIG HUGS coming your way.

Lydia said...

Nancy, I am so sorry to hear about T's health. And my husband has experienced what you have experienced at work. Why can't we all just be nice???...no matter what the opinion?